Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Pomegranate Seeds from The Simply Kosher Cookbook
Quinoa is the perfect base for a salad. It’s hearty and filling and its neutral flavor works well with just about anything. Diced avocado adds a smooth texture to the dish, while pomegranate arils give it a nice pop of color and added crunch. This recipe from The Simply Kosher Cookbook is a holiday and Shabbat menu staple of mine, since it’s tasty, simple to prepare, and—bonus—pretty to look at.[/caption]Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Pomegranate Seeds
PAREVE GLUTEN FREE NUT FREE | SERVES 6 TO 8 PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES | COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable stock
1 avocado, cubed
1 small red onion, diced
1⁄2 cup pomegranate arils
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lime
1. Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh sieve until the water runs clear, then drain well and transfer the quinoa to a medium pot.
2. Add the stock to the quinoa in the pot and bring to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 15 to
3. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for about 4 minutes before uncovering and u ng the quinoa with a fork.
4. Transfer the cooked quinoa to a large serving bowl and add the avocado, red onion, and pomegranate arils.
5. In a small bowl, prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Per serving: Calories: 288; Total fat: 18g; Total carbs: 30g; Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 358mg